GL Series Dry Type Caution Sheet
Automatic Sprinklers GL Series Dry Type Cautions
Installation Instructions - Read Carefully
Standard and Large Orifice Upright Sprinkler. Install in upright position only. Identified by "SSU" on deflector. Standard and Large Orifice Pendent Sprinkler. Install in pendent position only. Identified by "SSP" on deflector. Standard and Large Orifice Horizontal Sidewall Sprinkler. Install in horizontal position only. Identified by "TOP" on deflector. Standard and Large Orifice Vertical Sidewall Sprinkler. Install in the upright or pendent positions. Identified by "FLOW" on deflector.
Sprinklers contained in this carton have been manufactured and tested in accordance with the applicable standards or where applicable under the inspection of Underwriters Laboratories Inc., and FM Approvals. See individual data sheets for specific approvals.
Any alteration to the sprinkler after it leaves the factory including, but not limited to painting, plating, coating or other alteration, may render the sprinkler inoperative and will nullify the listings and approvals.
Glass bulbs are very fragile. Handle with extreme care. Sprinklers should be kept in the carton provided with dividers at all times prior to installation. Sprinklers should never come in direct contact with one another or any other foreign object prior to installation. Do not place sprinklers in a bucket. Globe Fire Sprinkler Corporation is not responsible for glass bulb damage due to improper handling.
Sprinkler Temperature Rating/Classification and Color Coding
|Classification||Available Sprinkler |
- Globe Sprinklers are to be installed in accordance with the latest published standards of the National Fire Protection Association, Loss Prevention Council, Globe Sprinkler data sheets, Government agencies and/or other similar organizations and to meet local codes and ordinances.
- Never replace a Large Orifice Sprinkler with a standard sprinkler or vice versa.
- Never install an Upright Spray Sprinkler in a pendent position or a Pendent Spray Sprinkler in an upright position.
- Install using a pipe wrench applied to the outer tube. When this is not possible, the proper sprinkler head wrench may be used with extreme care for lengths up to approximately 18". Excessive force may distort the frame thus destroying the unit.
- Minimum operating pressure for dry upright is 12 psi.
- Install Globe GL Series Dry Type Sprinklers in 1"NPT or ¾"NPT tees only - ANSI B16.3 Class 155 or ANSI B16.4 Class 125. Tyco Blazemaster® CPVC Fittings have been evaluated and found acceptable for use. Other plastic fittings may be acceptable but we have not received samples for evaluation.
- Never install a sprinkler after it has dropped to the floor or been injured in any way. These sprinklers should be returned to the factory for examination.
- Never install sprinklers in the fittings until the piping is in place on the ceiling as sprinklers are liable to be injured if screwed into the fittings when the lines are made up at the bench.
- Never paint or whitewash sprinklers as this is liable to prevent their operation in a fire.
- Never attach wiring, ropes or fixtures to sprinkler or sprinkler piping.
- Lead Plated sprinklers should be used in all locations subject to corrosion from acid fumes, chemicals, processes, etc. Extreme care must be exercised when installing to avoid damage to coating.
- Use sprinkler guards on all sprinklers subject to injury by moving objects.
- Some Globe Fire Sprinkler Corporation sprinkler models are shipped with a factory applied sealant on the threads. Globe recommends that no additional tape or pipe dope be used on these sprinklers. If pipe compound is used on sprinklers without factory applied sealant, apply to sprinkler threads only. Wipe all excess compound off sprinkler.
- Store sprinklers in cool, dry place and preferably in their shipping carton.
- Sprinklers of proper rating must be carefully selected to meet the temperature conditions where they are located (see table on reverse side for available temperatures). 175°F (79°C) or lower sprinklers should not be installed in locations less than 30" above or 12" to one side of steam pipes, heating coils or radiators. 200°F (93°C) sprinkler should be used under skylights where exposed to direct sun rays. Consult the local authority having jurisdiction to determine the proper temperature ratings in special locations such as:
- Areas near unit heaters.
- Areas where low pressure blow-off discharges into a large room.
- Areas in an unventilated concealed
space under uninsulated wood or tin roofs.
- Areas in an unventilated attic.
- Areas in a shed with an unventilated peak roof or thin boards or metal.
- Areas where show windows have high powered electric illumination processes.
- Areas where a locomotive enters a building.
- Areas in other locations where special consideration is necessary.
- Inspect sprinklers regularly for mechanical damage, corrosion, paint and dust buildup as outlined in NFPA publications.
- Dry type sprinklers should be replaced after 10 years of service or as conditions warrant.
- High temperature sprinklers (360°F and higher) should be replaced after 5 years of service or as conditions warrant.
- When replacing sprinklers in any system, make sure those replacements are of the same style, size, and temperature rating as those removed.
- Should a change in building structure, occupancy or temperature conditions indicate a probable change in sprinkler requirements, notify the insurance carrier or other qualified inspection agency immediately. Do not make any changes without the authorization of one of these agencies.
- Maintain an extra stock of sprinklers and wrenches in a cabinet as required by NFPA 13.
- Concealed sprinklers and recessed sprinklers should not be used if the space above the ceiling is used for delivery (positive pressure) in an HVAC system.
- Globe Fire Sprinkler Corporation sprinklers have been tested, listed or approved by the agencies noted on the individual sprinkler data sheet. Acceptance by other agencies or authorities is not the responsibility of Globe Fire Sprinkler Corporation. Globe Fire Sprinkler Corporation is not liable for any costs arising as a result of any changes to listings or approvals after shipment. The Seller makes no warranties express or implied including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose except as expressly stated in seller's sales contract or sales acknowledgment form.
Protected Area at the
|Exposed Barrel Ambient
|Exposed Minimum Barrel Length
(Face of Tee to Top of Ceiling or Inside Wall)
|20°F (-7°C)||4 (101)||0||0|
|10°F (-12°C)||8 (203)||1 (25.1)||0|
|-0°F (-18°C)||12 (305)||3 (75)||0|
|-10°F (-23°C)||14 (356)||4 (101)||1 (25.1)|
|-20°F (-29°C)||14 (356)||6 (152)||3 (75)|
|-30°F (-34°C)||16 (406)||8 (203)||4 (101)|
|-40°F (-40°C)||18 (457)||8 (203)||4 (101)|
|-50°F (-46°C)||20 (508)||10 (254)||6 (152)|
|-60°F (-51°C)||20 (508)||10 (254)||6 (152)|
Globe agrees to repair or replace any of its own manufactured products found to be defective in material or workmanship for a period of one year from date of shipment.
For specific details of our warranty please refer to Price List Terms and Conditions of Sale (Our Price List).
Bulletin: 10 Last Revised: July 2010 Revision: BULLETIN DRY CAUTION